APPI’s Pilates for Rehabilitation – Matwork Level 2 course is the second step of the APPI Pilates Matwork Certification Series. This course is designed to give you the skills to begin offering your own group Pilates mat classes. Pilates classes enable clients to further develop their own body awareness and independence from one-to-one treatments. Pilates classes are excellent for clients once they become familiar with the Pilates principles and are a great way to retrain clients once they have finished a one-on-one program. During the course you will learn the vital aspects of assessment, screening, class planning, warm-ups, cool downs, standing Pilates exercises, and how to design population-specific Pilates classes such as Low Back Pain. You will also learn cueing skills that are essential in running a seamless class and participate in various workshops focusing on how to achieve flow in your Pilates mat classes. Pilates movements with small equipment are also introduced to broaden the your movement repertoire and add further diversity to group classes.
At the conclusion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify at least 3 issues associated with establishing a Pilates program within their work setting.
- Provide a solution for the 3 issues they identified with establishing a Pilates program within their work setting.
- Outline APPI’s guidelines for assessment, inclusion criteria, outcome measures, advertising and insurance
- Apply a new repertoire of up to 21 warm-up and cool down exercises
- Use small equipment (foam roller, swiss ball, resistance band, soft ball) to demonstrate a minimum of 16 modifications to exercises which will enhance your class’s experience
- Plan a Pilates class made up of 3 sections: warm-up, body, cool down
- Design a minimum of 2 population-specific classes
- Deliver a Pilates class for a group setting
- Read the recommended reading articles
- Attend 5 hours of Pilates classes or Pilates one to one sessions
- Watch two deep neck flexor workshop videos by clicking here & here
In order to receive a certificate for this course, learner is required to:
- Submit Feedback under personal password protected account page
- Submit self-reflection form under personal password protected account page
- Achieve at 70% or higher score on a 10 question post course assessment*
*:Learner is allowed multiple attempts if necessary in order to achieve a passing score
7:45am – 4:00pm
- Pilates Exercise Teaching: Warm-ups & cool downs, scapulo-thoracic series
- Pilates Exercise Teaching: Warm-ups cool downs cont. upper and lower body series
- Standing exercises
- Afternoon tea
- Pilates Exercise Teaching: Warm-ups & cool downs cont. mobility series and rolling series
- Review Matwork Level 1 exercises
8:00am – 4:00pm
- Morning tea
- Workshop: Introduction to Small Equipment
- Class planning workshop
- Group Pilates Practice session
- Workshop: Stretching in Pilates Classes
- Workshop: Pilates Class Sequencing
- Afternoon Tea
- Pilates Class Teaching
Registration opens at 7:45am on day 1.
Coffee/hot tea provided in a.m. One hour break for lunch both days (lunch not included in fees).
This course is open to:
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Athletic Trainers
- Exercise Physiologists
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Third Year Physical Therapy Students
Physical Therapists/Physical Therapist Assistants: This course is approved by the following:
- 13.5 CCU’s Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (Approved Provider #2211050TX)
“The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE.”
Many other states may accept credits awarded by the above state boards. Please check with your state licensing board to determine whether the course qualifies for credit in your state. Please note that due to the changing nature of state continuing education requirements, APPI suggests that you contact your state physical therapy association or licensing board for the most current information on continuing education and other rules and regulations.
Occupational Therapists/Certified Occupational Therapist Assistants: 12 Contact Hours. AOTA Approved Provider of Continuing Education # 11485 Category 1 Domain of OT. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsements of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Athletic Trainers: APPI is Board of Certification, Inc., (BOC) Approved Provider. This course has been approved for 12 continued education hours for Athletic Trainers. BOC Approved Provider number P10086.
Personal Trainers/ Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists APPI courses are not automatically approved by the NSCA, however if you would like to attend this course, you are able to self-submit received NSCA CEUs.
Exercise Physiologists ‘The ACSM Certification & Registry Department will recognize CECs, CMEs or CEUs awarded by other professional health and fitness or clinical organizations for attending their programs without it being pre-approved or endorsed by the ACSM Education Department. These are considered “non-ACSM endorsed programs.” You must obtain documentation from that organization verifying attendance and the number of CECs earned.’
If you require accreditation through another governing body or within another state, or require any further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Aptos, CA Alliance Physical Therapy and Wellness 7887 Soquel Dr. Suites D & E, Aptos, CA 95003
Riverside, CA Anahata Yoga and Bel Wellness Studio 6778 Magnolia Ave Riverside, CA 92506 Phone: (951) 515-3977
Denver, CO Move Studios 40 S Broadway #201, Denver, CO 80209
Minneapolis, MN Studio U 1550 Utica Ave S, Suite LL01 Saint Louis Park, MN 55416
Boston, MA Boston Sports Medicine 1 Braintree Street Allston, MA 02134
Torrance, CA HealthCare Partners, A DaVita Medical Group 23430 Hawthorne Blvd. #105 Torrance, CA 90505
Albany Physical Therapy, PC 948 San Pablo Ave. Albany, CA 94706
“It may completely change my career path which is very exciting to think I could do something independently. This course is giving us more than just new exercises and education, we’re getting confidence and new perspective.”
–Kristin Jarrett, Aug. 2020 Livestream
“It really did challenge me to think about how to use the knowledge we’re given about exercises and apply them in purposeful ways to meet the needs of specific populations or to address a particular part of the body.”
–Sarah Brown, Aug. 2020 Livestream
“Kirsten is a wonderful teacher. She is clear in her delivery and very knowledgeable. She was able to answer all our questions and queries. She was also very patient and encouraging which I found extremely comforting whilst learning new exercises and having to teach in a virtual group setting.”
–Clare Allard, June 2020 Livestream
“Kirsten is FANTASTIC. Knowledgeable. Enthusiastic. I would take anything that she teaches.”
–Jennifer Plaisance, June 2020 Livestream
“Course was awesome! Presenter is so relatable and communicates very well. She really took the time to make sure we all felt comfortable and had all of our questions answered. She made us feel human and confident.”
–Sabrina Mangieri, June 2020 Livestream
“The information from this course was relevant to my practice as an outpatient physical therapist. I will be able to utilize exercises, modifications, and cueing with many of my current and future patients.”
–Danielle Eilert, June 2020 Livestream
“This is the future of course delivery! Please please please do more of this kind of thing! Our instructor was terrific; full of energy and enthusiasm, with an obviously in-depth knowledge of Pilates for the general public and a clinical population. It was easy to interact and contribute via the chat or microphone”
“I just completed this live stream course today and despite the changes, it was well delivered and I found it very informative. The instructor was excellent and to be honest completing courses from the comfort of my front room is the way forward”
How does it all work?
- Click the Zoom link that has been sent
- Click ‘Join Meeting’
- Download the desktop or device App (free, and very quick)
- Test your mic and wait for the host (APPI) to start the Zoom meeting
- Enter your name which will appear on screen
- Start learning!
EB booking discounts end 4 weeks prior to the course taking place.
Book for 3 people or more on the same course and receive a 15% discount. Email email@example.com for all group bookings.
If you are a student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on special discounted rates.
If you would like this educational event brought to your facility, please click here for our host course options.
We are happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please email email@example.com.
Financial – All APPI presenters who teach this course receive a speaking honorarium from APPI America.
Non-financial – No relevant non-financial relationship exists with any of APPI’s presenters for this course.