Reformer Pilates Level 1
APPI’s introduction course to the use of the Pilates Reformer machine is designed to give you all the tools required for a complete program on the reformer. The reformer is considered the most versatile piece of Pilates equipment and the most popular single piece of Pilates equipment used in physical therapy today. This program will teach you movements in supine, sitting, side lying and 4 point kneeling. The movements will cover control, strength, stretch and mobilization of the spine, legs, arms, mid back and head/neck. You will also be introduced to the APPI’s unique movement screen to allow you deliver a clinically reasoned program specific to the needs of your client. APPI is firmly established as the leading force in the delivery of safe and effective Pilates teacher training for the allied health industry. Based on the most up to date evidence, APPI’s Pilates for Rehabilitation – Reformer level 1 course provides rehabilitation professionals with the essential, fundamental knowledge to begin offering reformer Pilates exercises to their clients.
Following this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the value of the Pilates Reformer machine to a rehabilitation facility
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the spine
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the hip
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the knee
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the foot
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the ankle
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the mid back
- Apply reformer Pilates movements for the upper limb
- Use movements reformer Pilates movements designed to increase control
- Use movements designed increase strength
- Use movements designed to increase mobility
- Use reformer Pilates movements designed to increase stretch
- Use the APPI movement screen for program design
- Immediately create a reformer Pilates programs for clients
- Modify the movements for different clinical populations
In order to receive a certificate for this course, learner is required to:
- Submit Feedback under personal password protected account page
- Submit self-reflection form under personal password protected account page
Day 1 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Workshop 1: History and evolution of the Reformer. Features of the Reformer, Reformer/client set up, Maintaining the Reformer
- Workshop 2: The five key elements of Pilates
- Movement session: Foot series
- Movement session: Second series, Monkey stretch
- Movement session: Single leg series
- Workshop 3: Introduction to the Reformer jump board
- Review: Group teaching by Instructor of afternoon session movements
Day 2 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Group teaching by Instructor
- Movement session: Mid back series
- Movement session: Feet in straps
- Workshop 4: The APPI Pilates screen
- Review: Group teaching by Instructor
- Movement session
- Workshop 5: Clinical application in one to one sessions
- Self practice and supported learning
Registration opens at 7:45am on Day 1 Coffee/hot tea provided in a.m. One hour break for lunch both days (lunch not included in fees).
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Athletic Trainers
- Exercise Physiologists
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists
- Personal Trainers
- Certified Pilates Instructors
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Third Year Physical Therapy Students
It is recommended that you have attended a minimum of a 2 day Pilates matwork course prior to attending, but this is not essential.
Physical Therapists/Physical Therapist Assistants: This course is approved by the following:
- 12 CCU’s by FSBPT Procert *(see States below)
- 13 CCU’s Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (Approved Provider #2211050TX)
“The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE.”
*ProCert is a program of the Federation of State Board of Physical Therapy (FSBPT). ProCert evaluates physical therapy continuing competence activities (courses and conferences) using the research-based FSBPT Standards for Continuing Competence Activities.
Continuing competence activities certified by ProCert are currently accepted by the following jurisdictions:
|Alaska||Arizona||Arkansas||California||Colorado||Delaware||District of Columbia|
|North Dakota||Oregon||Pennsylvania||Puerto Rico||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota|
Additional states are updating rules/regulations or policies to reflect the acceptance or recognition of ProCert.
Many other states may accept credits awarded by the above state boards. Please check with your state licensing board to determine whether the course qualifies for credit in your state. Please note that due to the changing nature of state continuing education requirements, APPI suggests that you contact your state physical therapy association or licensing board for the most current information on continuing education and other rules and regulations.
Occupational Therapists/Certified Occupational Therapist Assistants: 12 Contact Hours. AOTA Approved Provider of Continuing Education # 11485 Category 1 Domain of OT. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsements of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Athletic Trainers: APPI is Board of Certification, Inc., (BOC) Approved Provider. This course has been approved for 13 continued education hours for Athletic Trainers. BOC Approved Provider number P10086.
Personal Trainers/ Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists APPI courses are not automatically approved by the NSCA, however if you would like to attend this course, you are able to self-submit received NSCA CEUs.
Exercise Physiologists ‘The ACSM Certification & Registry Department will recognize CECs, CMEs or CEUs awarded by other professional health and fitness or clinical organizations for attending their programs without it being pre-approved or endorsed by the ACSM Education Department. These are considered “non-ACSM endorsed programs.” You must obtain documentation from that organization verifying attendance and the number of CECs earned.’
If you require accreditation through another governing body or within another state, or require any further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stonington, CT Kelsar Physical Therapy 107 Wilcox Rd, Suite 109 Stonington, CT 06378
Denver, CO Move Studios 40 S Broadway #201, Denver, CO 80209
Minneapolis, MN Studio U 1550 Utica Ave S, Suite LL01 Saint Louis Park, MN 55416
Torrance, CA Love Your Core Pilates & More 24239 Hawthorne Boulevard, Torrance, California, 90505
‘I learned a lot about assessing movement patterns on the reformer and ways the exercises are important for different diagnoses.’ – Minneapolis, MN Nov 2018
‘There was so much emphasis on learning right on the apparatus both using and teaching partners to use allowing for best retention of information.’ – Minneapolis, MN Nov 2019
‘I now feel confident to use and teach basic use of the reformer.’ – Denver, CO May 2018
I learned many different variation and modifications for each exercise and patient population.’ – Minneapolis, MN Oct 2017
‘I feel I learned safety and set up with and on equipment’ – Minneapolis, MN Oct 2017
‘Very practical, hands on approach to teaching lots of self-practice. Very clear explanation on technical issues with exercises.’ – London, Mar 2017
‘I have been very interested in the reformer for some time but the instructor really motivated and inspired me by her teaching method and in-depth knowledge.’ – London, Mar 2017
‘I feel much more confident in the reformer exercises and teaching them in the clinical rehab population setting’ – Minneapolis, MN Oct 2016
EB booking discounts end 4 weeks prior to the course taking place.
Book for 3 people or more on the same course and receive a 15% discount. Email email@example.com for all group bookings.
If you are a student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on special discounted rates.
If you would like this educational event brought to your facility, please click here for our host course options.
We are happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please email email@example.com.
Financial – All APPI presenters who teach this course receive a speaking honorarium from APPI America.
Non-financial – No relevant non-financial relationship exists with any of APPI’s presenters for this course.